Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Potential new vendor lost to us...

It was a sunny Saturday when Paul Munson and his family wandered into The People's Market. It was a special day. He came in and wandered about the store before mentioning that he noticed there were pottery bowls but no wooden bowls...that was my opening. "You make wooden bowls?" I couldn't resist asking. Then bagan a long conversation about his trade...or what I consider his "gift". He is a crafter of the most incredibly beautiful hand crafted wooden bowls/cutting boards that I have ever seen! That must have been the case because someone bought the bowl on Tuesday (We were closed Monday or I firmly believe it would have sold Monday!).
I firmly believe that our meeting was certainly devine intervention because according to the Ithaca Journal Paul passed away on Monday. The obituary mentioned everything that we had talked about in his 45 minute visit that day. I was moved and within minutes of his leaving photographed the bowls and planned to feature it in my next ad. The cutting board is no longer for sale....I am buying it.
That wasn't the best part of my visit. It was the part where he continued to refer to his wife (of 58 years) as his "bride"..."my bride will handle that" he said referring to ..."his bride". I was moved. We giggled about how she felt being called his bride. Before leaving I asked to take his picture for our vendor book with his wooden art...but we decided a picture working by his machinery would be better. I would see him soon when he brought in more of his work. It may not be...but there must be a plan. I have to believe because I met a pretty special man that day...and I knew it after a 45 minute visit. He reminds me of my dad who we lost in February...a person you meet and never forget. God Bless.